Saturday, May 21, 2005

e3 2005
I'm back from E3 and still processing the overwhelming stimulation of the loud bright insane world that is gaming. I'll have notes on the big displays in a few days, feel free to email me if you want them. (I won't be posting them here) .
Today, a few random comments about Kentia Hall, without a doubt the least-reported-on venue of E3 but home to my favorite little slice of the industry, the small companies making all sorts of little products to support gaming (and the only hall with a full bar.) Down in the basement, I boxed, danced, played tennis, whacked some baseballs, and tried out a gadget that lets you play simulated golf with your own club -- very cool idea, still needs some work (pretty long delay before the onscreen image appears). I saw at least seven disk-cleaning gadgets that promise to buff away those annoying gouges and scratches that make your $50 game disk useless. Still none for the home gamer, these products are geared towards rental outlets. Rats. I await the price point that will bring one of these gizmos into my home and perhaps end the incessant "what the f*** did you do to my GAME?!" conversations that plague us.
Goofiest moment: after meeting with Europeans all day, I ran into one of our testers and gave him the kiss-kiss greeting. Always cool, he brushed away my embarassed attempt to explain. Thanks, Phil!