Sunday, February 03, 2008

quality of life
Anyone who works in this industry knows the issue. Papers have been written, lawsuits filed, relationships ended (and started), yet we are still in the position where we spend months on end giving everything we've got to the game. I have to be honest and admit that there is a part of me that loves the chance to go all the way for something. The commitment, the shared sense of purpose-- these are heady feelings, rewarding in ways that a "normal" job's compensation can never be. I love to be part of something bigger than me, and I genuinely like the work. The best people I know have been people I worked with. But the downside is steep. Many of us don't sleep well or much. Sticking to a healthy diet is sometimes harder than hitting a milestone. And marriage to an "outsider" is very very difficult. Many people end up resenting both the spouse for not understanding what the situation really demands, and the job for demanding it. I recently learned a friend is hanging it up and leaving the business, probably the last person I would have imagined. Best of luck to you, amigo. You've earned it in spades.